Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Wedding Wednesday: Wedding Reflections

I can't believe I haven't posted since June! I have had a very busy summer. We went to NYC in June for a few days and then spent the rest of the summer getting ready for a September wedding. Now that the wedding is over, maybe I can post more.

MAYBE!

I have spent quite a bit of time thinking about weddings and how the whole process has changed in the last few decades. I think Pinterest has upped the game some. Everyone gets an overload of ideas.

But I also  think we just don't have the visual record of the details and hours of planning and preparing that went into yesterdays weddings. No one took photos of the bride's shoes! I wish we did have that record.

I don't know why, but I never asked either one of my grandmother's about their weddings.  I don't think either one of them would have talked about it much. Neither of them had a traditional wedding.

I have previously posted wedding photos of some others in my family tree:        Peter Peterson's               Fred Schmidt's
               Cornelius Smith's                            Ken Schmidt's

The first wedding I remember going to was my dad's sister's wedding - Judi and her husband, Ed. I don't seem to have a single picture in any of Dad's stuff. I know Grandma Bea made my sister and I each a dress and we handed out little bags of rice to everyone after the ceremony.

My mother and dad often told the story of their wedding - in particular the wedding cake, which was dropped. I have a video of them telling that story. I'll have to blog about that sometime.

We lived in South Texas when my mother's brother got married - Ken and his bride, Judy. So only my mom was able to attend that wedding. I know I was excited when Judy sent each of us girls a wallet size photo of them.

My own wedding seems like a blur now. We decided in September to get married in December. My mother made my dress and my sisters! No 12 month planner for me. Then in January we moved to Florida.


In looking over photos I have discovered one thing that doesn't change much.
1955


2014








No comments:

Post a Comment